Achten’s Quality Roofing
Are you considering installing a flat roof on your home or business? We’re Flat Roof Replacement & Repair Specialists
We’re Flat Roof Replacement & Repair Specialists
Are you considering installing a flat roof on your home or business? Flat or low-slope roofs look very attractive on many different types of buildings. Many traditional-style homes only add this style some portions of the home – like over porches, balconies, garages and sheds.
In the past, most flat-style roofs typically did not last as long as sloped roofs; however, within the last few decades, flat-style roofing manufacturers have been developing membranes that are highly durable and energy-efficient, and that can even match the longevity of sloped roofs.
Benefits of Flat Roofing Systems
- Great for large buildings
- Can have multiple uses, such as a deck, rooftop garden, patio or penthouse
- Huge savings on energy bills since TPO and PVC are able to reflect about 90% of solar rays
- TPO and PVC are 100% recyclable
- Installation costs are lower since you don’t have to tear off the old roof before installation>
Flat Roofing Materials
There are three general types of flat roofing systems.
- One layer is to waterproof and weather the surface
- Popular types: EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer), PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) and TPO (Thermoplastic Olefin)
- Popular in both commercial and residential environments
- Formulation, durability, specs and cost depends on the type of single-ply used
- Membranes range from 6 to 18 feet, with 10 feet being the most common
- Average thickness ranges from 45-90 millimeters, with 50 millimeters being the recommended thickness
- Manufactured using built-up layers of asphalt, rolled asphalt or modified bitumen
- As the roof is installed, the different materials are added on to increase durability and longevity
- 2 types of built-up roofs: Modified Bitumen and Rolled Asphalt
- Requires at least 1/12-inch slope in order to be used
- Spray Foam Insulation: Foam is sprayed directly onto the roof deck with acrylic or urethane coating as well as a layer of crushed stones/sand
- Roof Coatings: Ideal for existing roofs and used to extend their service life by 10 to 15 years and typically installed on top of singly-ply, modified or low-slope metal roofs.